Today the day started at 4am. It started to rain lightly and I awoke and dashed out the trailer to make sure the inverter and marine battery were not getting wet. Not knowing if the rain would let up, I decided to unhook everything just to be safe. The rain quit about ten minutes later. Mind you the rain has been extremely light so I've never had the feeling that it would be an all day rain, but I didn't want to take a chance. Well, at 4:30 it started raining again. I decided I was ready to take a chance. I was just too tired. So I left everything hooked up and quickly fell back to sleep. I woke up at 7am. Still tired. Hopefully tonight I can sleep thru.
Today was pancake day and a hike to the west most portion of the South Rim called Hermits Rest. It had the longest bus ride too, at over 25 minutes.
The plan was to bus to Hermits Rest and hike back 1.1 miles to Pima Point.
It just continues to amaze me to think that this big hole in the ground has been here for so long. I looked in a telescope at Hermits Rest, at the rock formations. Thinking that for millions of years, these rocks, the colors, the formations, have been untouched by humans. And we stand from what seems like miles away, just looking at the rocks as if something else magical will happen.
It was another glorious day here at the Grand Canyon. Arriving back at camp, we started prepping for pizzas on the campfire. The kids have done a relatively good job of helping. Of course a little prodding from the parents has helped too. We made 12 pizzas all together and dessert was 8 split bananas with marshmallows, peanut butter chips and chocolate chips, wrapped in foil over the fire.
We quickly cleaned up dinner so we could head to Yavapi Point for the sunset at the Grand Canyon. It is one of the only points that can be accessed by bus and car. I was amazed at the amount of people viewing and trying to get that perfect picture. I was also amazed at the amount of people that would be practically hanging over the edge to get a view. Including some younger aged kids. My palms were sweating because of the risk these people were taking. We did manage to get quite a few pictures with the eight of us and a few with the kids.
We ended up splitting up for awhile. The Harmon's went to see a ranger talk at the amphitheater while the Rolling's went back to Bright Angel Lodge to look for souvenirs.
We all met back at camp for a fire and some great talk and laughing about our day with the damn Italians. We also discussed our day of rafting ahead.
Have a great night!!




Very well said!!!!! The pics are fabulous!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting on the blog Kathy! I think you are the only one still reading it!!
ReplyDeleteAm loving it....it's been a great way to keep tabs on you'all!!!!
ReplyDelete