Sunday, September 26, 2010

What's on your list?

I am enjoying a couple hours of rest and watching the Vikings game this afternoon but I can't ever seem to completely relax.  All I can think about is the "honey do" list of things I want to get done around the house.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Maybe it's the nice weather outside and the impending doom of winter hanging in the air that makes me want to tackle some of those outside tasks.  Maybe it's just because I'm not happy unless I'm working on a project.  This summer has been full of different projects, (most involving re landscaping the yard) but the list grows longer.  Things like tiling, painting, caulking, and staining.  What's even more interesting are the things that you know need attention but don't even make your list because it's so unlikely you'll ever get them done.  As a contractor I take a great deal of pride in the finished product that we give our clients and I think that our clients would attest to that, but I often fall short of the same level of attention on my own house.  For instance, when I finished building my house 10 years ago there were a few windows that didn't get finished (polyurethane sealer) on the inside.  They are still that way today.  It would be unacceptable to leave an unfinished product like that for a customer.  To make it worse, I have the experience and all of the tools and supplies at my disposal to do this but am resigned to the fact that it won't happen for whatever reason.  I'd like to know what some of the things are on your list and what (other than lack of time) keeps you from getting them done.  One of the services that Kurt and I would like to provide to our family, friends, and clients is advice about how to get started with the projects that you can't seem to get off the ground.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful website!

    We've lived in our house for a little over 14 years and in all that time the master bathroom door has never locked properly. It probably would take a quick trip to the hardware store and an hour to fix, but we've never done it. Why? At first there were other bigger things to do, and that got ignored. Now, we forget about it and have gotten used to it. Everyone knows if the door is closed, DON'T open it! At the end of the day, when we sit down to relax after the kids have gone to bed, we'd rather have our chips and salsa instead of a working lock. After a while, though, those little things really add up and now it feels a bit overwhelming. A closet door that doesn't close, nail heads that have popped, no door handle on the master bedroom door, water that leaks from our upstairs bathroom, and the list goes on. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete