Wednesday was the day we planned to visit the Chasin Fin Dolphin cruises. After a failed year last year, with a competitive Dolphin cruise, the Rollings were anxious to get back to the old reliable Chasin Fin Dolphin Cruises. Our first visit to Pensacola and Beachside II was highlighted by Chasin Fin. And this year it brought back a lot of memories from that first trip. We did the 9am trip and we weren't 10 minutes from the dock and we already spotted a group of Dolphins. Our deckhand Charlie made the trip very enjoyable. Fresh out of Fast Times at Ridgemount High, Charlie reminded me of Spicoli, accent included.
I'm not sure the others in our group were aware, but the middle of our trip would include the Wednesday practice session of the Blue Angels and I'll tell you what, I'm not sure we'll go back the to the Naval Air Museum for the show again. Charlie had everything planned. From the patriotic music to describing each maneuver, on cue, to having a two way radio tuned into the cockpits of the pilots aboard the Blue Angel planes. It was incredibly awesome. While passing the Naval base we also saw a new Destroyer that had just arrived from Mobile, AL for some final additions to the latest ship for the fleet. It's design is something out of James Bond movie. It has a new catamaran style and Charlie indicated that it has the capability of cruising at speeds of 55 MPH. It looks more like a tank than a boat.
After the Dolphin cruise we headed back to the condo for a much needed nap, followed by a trip to Fort Pickens. It is the largest of four forts built to defend Pensacola Bay and its navy yard. It has a great self guided tour and certainly the older I get, brings a new appreciation for the history in our country. Wouldn't it be great to have the ability to time travel back to see these places in their glory. We certainly have it way better than our elders. After our trip to the fort, Andrew wanted to fish off the pier at the fort. There were about 20 people their catching sheepshead fish, which apparently are better tasting than red snapper. They sure are big fish. Probably about 6 pounders on average. Andrew was skunked but I think he enjoyed himself. We even met another kid from Wisconsin trying his hand at fishing too.
Dinner was spent at Shaggy's after Andrews short fishing trip. We even sat at the same table (from last year) out on the deck that overlooks one of Pensacolas bays. Andrew and I split a dozen oysters on the half shell as an appetizer. Funny to see a 15 year old enjoy oysters as much as me. They are slimy you know. We also got a order of the fried pickles. And I had to remind Carsten again that the pickles were for everyone. We had great food from Shaggy's. Erika had commented about the voice of our waiter sounding like someone she knew from the tv show survivor. I made the mistake of asking him if he had been on the show. I told him Erika reminded him of some of the contestants that have been on the show. I don't think he took too kindly about that comment, because he was not very hospitable after that comment. He may have even spit in my food, who knows. I hope I made up for it by giving him a little more of a tip than I normally would have left. Oh well.
After dinner it was back to the condo to watch the original National Treasure movie and off too bed......
No comments:
Post a Comment